In the colorful world of Anna Sui, anything goes—and that includes spunky, ROYGBIV-dyed wigs raised to the roof and delightfully topped with a petite bow. This youthful hairdo, created by R+Co co-founder Garren, finds its teased roots in grittier, less innocent retro-chic references: actress Shirley MacLaine as a bow-bedecked call girl in the 1963 film Irma La Douce, sultry French New Wave muse and actress Anna Karina, and the trailblazing female singers of ’50s and ’60s Motown whose shellacked bouffants soared as high as their pitch. To introduce the punk vibe that’s synonymous with the Anna Sui brand, Garren razored away the static bouffant shape and employed rough teasing for a slapdash effect. And what of the colors—ranging from all-over icy cornflower to a vibrant chorus of fuchsia, grape and violet? “The hair colors are like Marvel superheroes … it’s pop art meets Motown,” says Garren. Here, he breaks down how to achieve the style.
Hair by Garren
Photographed by Chris Diaz
Get the Look
(Preparing hair for wig action):
1. Clean hair using GEMSTONE Color Shampoo and Conditioner to prep hair for wig.
2. Slick back hair using CHIFFON Styling Mousse to keep it from getting puffy.
3. Mist OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray for extra hold.
4. Put wig on, pinning around the hair line + nape.
(Styling the wig):
5. Begin to back comb at the roots, starting at the crown and working back. Then continue down the sides, still keeping the hair in a backward direction.
6. Garren chose to use the NEW MAGIC WAND Brow Gel at the ends of the hair at the crown in upward strokes to separate strands, take down flyaways and create spikes.
7. Roll the remaining hair at the nape of the neck, up into a knot and pin.
8. Comb out bangs to smooth + frame the face.
9. Finish with OUTER SPACE Flexible HairsprayOUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray to hold the look.
In addition to MAGIC WAND Brow Gel, Garren also debuted two other products behind the scenes at the Anna Sui show, rounding out the R+Co Backstage Collection. The three products address a myriad of beauty needs. Delivering fast color changes that can be easily washed out by the next runway show, ART SCHOOL Root Touch-Up Gel temporarily darkens roots, adds dimension and quickly alters hair tones. Tack- and residue-free MAGIC WAND Brow Gel not only tames brows, but also works wonders for managing flyaways and baby hairs under the harsh glare of runway lights. Rounding out the trio, DARK WAVES Fragrance Gel imparts a subtle scent that melts into skin and makes the perfect on-the-go refresher when rushing from catwalk to catwalk. The Backstage Collection will be available soon in salons, online and at select retailers.